Welcome or Register

Fletcher

FletcherThe Town of Fletcher is located on the northern tip of Henderson County, bordering the Buncombe’s County line. The Town of Fletcher was founded in 1856 when Dr. George Fletcher built a two-room house along Old Plank Road, which is now US Highway 25. Travelers seeking hospitality from their journeys quickly began stopping at Dr. Fletcher’s house.

The house was expanded as floors were added and the community grew with neighbors building a blacksmith shop, a store and tannery to accommodate the visitors. Dr. Fletcher’s four story house became the Fletcher Inn and the growing community became known as Fletcher. The railroad came to Fletcher in 1879, building a station that became the Village of Fletcher stop. Fletcher was officially named when the community’s first Post Office opened in 1886. The Town of Fletcher was incorporated in 1989.

Calvary Episcopal Church, located on Highway 25 N. in Fletcher is rich in history. The families of South Carolina’s Low Country came to Fletcher to escape the sweltering heat, founding Calvary Episcopal Church. Among the founders were the Blake family, Daniel & Helen Craig Blake, who donated the land and led the campaign to erect the first building.  The plans were based on drawings of Sir Christopher Wren, a 16th century-style building, the bricks were made by hand from clay that was dug. The structure was build on a hill along with a bell tower. The Bishop of North Carolina, traveled from Raleigh, NC for the consecration on the 21st of August, 1859 .

During the Civil War the grove was often used as a rallying place for volunteers, and the church building and carriage shed were used from time to time as barracks and hospital as well as for worship.  The Old Well was a watering place for soldiers from North and South alike.

In the early 20th century the old turnpike became US Highway 25, the main route through the mountains, and growth came quickly. The original church burned in 1935, with only the brick shell of the building left standing. One stained glass window, the baptismal font, and a few smaller items were saved. Scottish architect S. Grant Alexander, lengthened and widened the nave. From the original building the west front, with its beautiful bell tower, was saved and incorporated in the new building.

For information on the Town of Fletcher visit www.fletchernc.org.

© 2017 WNC Regional MLS, LLC All rights reserved.The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program of the WNC Regional MLS®. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Asheville Realty Group are marked with the Internet Data Exchange logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Asheville Realty Group does not display the entire WNC Regional MLS, LLC Internet Data Exchange database on this web site. The listings of some real estate brokerage firms have been excluded. Information last updated on 2017-07-24.

DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
Register Now
Already registered? Login

FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!
*Contact Information is NOT Shared*

Natalie Kramer
Asheville Realty Group
47 Patton Ave
Asheville, NC 28801
828.242.5360
Natalie@ashevillerealtygroup.com

Contact Me







* fields are required